Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Bird Homes and Habitats by Bill Thompson III

This is another review done as a member of Amazon Vine, so I'm posting a description of the book with a direct link to my review on Amazon.

book cover
Bird Homes and Habitats
by Bill Thompson III


ISBN-13: 9780618904464
Trade Paperback: 224 pages
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Released: September 10, 2013

Book Description, Modified from Back Cover:
Which birds use nest boxes? What’s required to maintain a birdhouse? What kind of habitat will attract which birds? What does it take to be a bluebird trail operator? What does it mean if baby birds or eggs disappear from their nest?

It’s easy enough to hang a birdfeeder. But there are plenty of other things that can attract birds to a landscape—and, in fact, birds need four essentials: food, water, shelter, and a place to nest. The more of these elements a yard has, the more attractive it is to birds.

My Review: Link to my review on Amazon.

2 comments:

Diane said...

I love birds, and I have a garden designed to attract as many as possible. I can, therefore, understand the use of such a book, though I'm not sure if I would read it myself or, at least, not cover to cover. Perhaps it is good for browsing or for looking for specific information. Thank you so much for your review, Debbie.

Debbie said...

My family and our neighbors are bird-friendly and feed them during the winter. I was interested in the idea of learning more about attracting birds, though this book didn't cover what I thought it would.

I think this book could be used as a reference book--as in, only go to the chapter(s) that specifically interest you. From what you've said, though, I suspect you wouldn't get a lot out of this book. It seemed more like something for beginners than for people who already have a bird habit garden.